Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Changing Mindsets

I have had the privilege of being selected to attend the seventh cohort of the Princial's Institute led by N2 Learning.  This work is based off of the visioning document created by several Texas superintendents including our current Superintendent Dr. Warren, and our past Superintendent Dr. Rue. The document provides a vision for what we want public education to do for our students.

I enjoy being part of this cohort because we have a group of leaders that challenge each others thinking.  It's the good kind of challenge that stretches our thinking, and challenges old mindsets that have become barriers to greater success for our students.

Today, we were fortunate to hear from Alan November.  He states so many things that resonated with me and my work as a building principal. For example, he reminded us that he would take mindset over technology any day.  I think sometimes we often are quick to use the new shiney tool that we just discovered, or that was shared with us, often without a real purpose.  Our mindset must shift to how the tool allows students to demonstrate mastery of new information, or skills.

Several other things stuck with me about our conversations today:
1. Are we asking the right questions and using the right data at the right time?
2. Critical thinking and learning should be messy, if not, we are giving students too much structure and parameters to ensure they get the answer we expect, or want them to get.
3. Only quality feedback that adds value really matters in increasing student or teacher success.
4. We must release control as leaders and teachers if we want students to truly own their own learning.
5. If you aim above the mark, you will most likely hit the mark at a minimum.

I am constantly working on being a better leader for my students, teachers, and community.  In order to succeed I have to be willing to challenge my own beliefs, take risks, and give leadership to my teachers to create collective efficacy.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your reflection from your time spent at the Principal's Institute. I had the privilege of meeting Allen November a couple of years ago. Your point number 4 about "releasing control in the classroom so students could own their own learning" was a turning point for me as an educator when I first met him. As a leader I see you releasing control with your teachers and allowing their strengths to shine through for the success of the campus. I can't wait to read more posts from True Blue Sightings!!

    ReplyDelete